When water gets lower and the fish have seen oodles of flies, I try to throw nymphs that are a bit different.
Here is a new variant for our upcoming trip to fish the headwaters of the Connecticut River in Pittsburg, NH. It is a purple Frenchie.
Here is the materials list:
- Hook: Orvis competition-style jig hook in size 10, 12 or 14
- Bead: Tungsten, black
- Tail: Coq de Leon
- Thread: UTC, black, 8/0
- Body: pheasant tail, purple
- Ribbing: Krystal flash, light blue, counter-wrapped with 6x tippet
- Thorax: UV ice dub, peacock
- Thread collar: UTC, purple, 70 denier