Well, Midge Mania continues at the fly-tying desk.
I follow Forrest Dorsey on Insta, and he at times posts about his favorite flies.
I’ve long had good luck with peacock herl on my nymphs, and so, his Manhattan Midge really caught my eye. And, I’m a sucker for experimenting with midges.
So, I’ve tied a few for my next Deerfield outing.
Here is the materials list, complete with links:
- Hook: Tiemco 2488, size 20 or 22 (this style hook has a 3x gape)
- Thread: UTC, 70 denier, black
- Ribbing: UTC Ultra wire, silver, extra small
- Bead: Glass, clear or silver, extra small
- Wing: Zelon, white (for small flies, I much prefer Zelon over Antron, as the fibers are narrower, softer and more translucent. I doubt the trout care, but, I do.)
- Thorax: Peacock herl